Can I firean employeewithout recourse?

UPDATED: Mar 27, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I firean employeewithout recourse?

The new receptionist has been there 4 weeks and has called-in already. She is rude to patients and tells everyone that walks in that she is only going to be there for 2 years until she finishes her degree. I had an employee of the hospital that our office is located in, stop me to tell me how unprofessional her behavior was. When I asked her about it she denied it and said that it was the hospital employee being rude to her. She cannot handle patient confrontation at all, which causes the patients to leave upset. She cannot even calm them down about something as simple as a the doctor running late.

Asked on March 27, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

As a general rule -  an employer can fire an employee outright without any legal repercussions.  In other words, an employee would have no grounds for a wrongful termination claim.  The reason -most employment arrangements are what is known as "at will" employment.  This means that an employee can choose to work for an employer or not, and an employer can hire or fire an employee for any reason (or even no reason).  And without notice.   

Note:  Exceptions to the above would be - if this action is not allowed by virtue of an employment contract, union agreement, or company policy; and discrimination must not play a role in termination. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption