If I am in a sublet and I was never made fully aware that the complex requires 60 days notice before moving out, can they still charge me?

UPDATED: Aug 1, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 1, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I am in a sublet and I was never made fully aware that the complex requires 60 days notice before moving out, can they still charge me?

My lease is an amendment to a lease that states “this amendment is not intended for use after the original lease term has expired”, this is the only document they have that has my name on it. The property raised my rent by $400 and will not negotiate.

Asked on August 1, 2011 Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you are in a sublease, your agreement for the rental that you have is with the tenant who initially leased the apartment from the landlord. You do not have a direct lease agreement with the landlord.

If so, you need to read your written sublease with the tenant. Its terms and conditions control the obligations between you and the tenant/landlord.

If you never signed an agreement with the tenant/landlord on the sublease stating anyhting about a 60 day required notice for a move out from the complex, then you are not obligated to give the 60 notice since you have no contract requiring this.

You should write your tenant/landlord stating that you have no agreement with him or her requiring 60 days notice for move out.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption