If I am going to courttoday foran OVII don’t have much time to find a lawyer, what should I do?

UPDATED: Feb 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 12, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I am going to courttoday foran OVII don’t have much time to find a lawyer, what should I do?

Asked on February 12, 2011 under Criminal Law, Ohio


Jack Moser, Jr. / Jack Moser Law

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You should ask the court to continue the matter so you can seek legal counsel. In Ohio an OVI arraignment is scheduled just days after the citation. It is common for a person charged with drunk driving to ask the court to continue the case so they may find an attorney.

Generally the courts will allow one such continuance of the case. But not every court follows that particular practice. Some courts will demand that you enter a plea rather than continuing the case on the arraignment docket. If your particular court demands that you enter a plea then you should enter a plea of "not guilty" and a "jury demand," as well as tell the court that you "do not waive" right to a speedy trial or resolution of your case.

In either event, after your court hearing you should immediately seek out an experienced and skilled drunk driving attorney. If you are in Central Ohio you may contact Jack Moser Law at 614-478-8005 or find us online at http://www.jmoserlaw.com.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption