If I’m getting divorced and my husband wants money from my house, is he entitled to any and how much?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m getting divorced and my husband wants money from my house, is he entitled to any and how much?

I bought my house a year before I got married and y husband lived with me after the house was bought. The mortgage is in my name. I refinanced it about a year ago and his name had to be put on the title. I have always paid the mortgage and paid

for the majority of the maintenance of the house, as well as done the majority of the house keeping and upkeep. Is he entitled to anything?

Asked on October 20, 2018 under Family Law, Colorado


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

I think you should go and speak with an attorney asap. The house was separate property that you converted to maritla when you refinanced.  Money earned during a marriage is marital money so even if "you" paid for it all it was paid for by both of you.  Your downpayment should come off the top to you in a sale or distributuon of assets.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption