under what circumstances can child support be reduced?

UPDATED: Jan 3, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

under what circumstances can child support be reduced?

I am getting married in 5 months to a man who has 2 kids. He can’t afford his bills after child support is taken out now, let alone to provide for my and daughter and I. I pay his bills right now but since I moved in with him I lost the minimal assistance I get including Medicaid on my daughter who does no receive any child support. By getting married, can we petition to decrease his amount of child support since he will have my daughter and future children to support also? And if we petition to have his kids in our home more often could we get the child support lowered? The mother spends it on herself because her mom pays all her bills and bought her house, so she does not need the money

Asked on January 3, 2013 under Family Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country child support can be reduced when there is a change in one's financial status where his nor her net monthly income is reduced or the other parent's income on a monthly basis has increased. Another basis is when the percentage of custody changes between the parents. The upcoming marriage could trigger a basis for a modification of child support.

Based upon what you have written, I suggest that you consult further with a family law attorney for assistance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption