If I am filing papers to modify child support by myself,how do I get the amount raised and garnished?

UPDATED: Aug 22, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I am filing papers to modify child support by myself,how do I get the amount raised and garnished?

I feel that $350 a month is not a fair amount for 2 children. I didn’t ask for any spousal support or anything else in the divorce. I am willing to give him credit for the money he has paid up until present. However, he is considering relocating and I have no guarantee that he will continue to pay after that. I want to modify the amount he is ordered to pay based on his income. He currently pays nothing else. The children have doctor bills, clothing costs, daycare and school costs, food costs, not to mention I pay for the car’s maintenence and insurance.

Asked on August 22, 2012 under Family Law, Kansas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country a petition for modification of child support must be accompanied by an earnings and expense declaration by the petitioner and respondent to in kind along with other paper work. For the needed paper work for the petition you want, I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney to assist you and/or your local legal aid clinic if you cannot afford an attorney.

If the respondent fails to adhere to a court order for child support, then you file an order to show cause re contempt and the court makes a ruling on what is owed in arrears with an order to pay. If not paid, then you can levy on the respondent's bank accounts for what is owed or garnish wages.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption