If I am facing eviction for withholding rent because of a rodent problem, what can I do?

UPDATED: Dec 21, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 21, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I am facing eviction for withholding rent because of a rodent problem, what can I do?

I live in public housing. We have withheld rent due to a rodent problem 3-5 mice running around the kitchen and hall closet daily and even in the stove. Also, there is a front door lock that violates safety policy. Additiinally, my family is having an on-going dilemma with another tenant. She is calling the office making accusations of delinquent behavior. The management office refuses to acknowledge our complaints of her on-going harassment telling us she’s a nice lady and believing her accusations without proper investigation. There are a slew of other issues we are afraid to report because they refuse to acknowledge it.

Asked on December 21, 2011 under Real Estate Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You're not allowed to withhold rent due  to a rodent problem--that's not to say that you don't have the right to have the problem fixed, but this is the wrong way to go about it. The better way to resolve the situation is to pay the rent; provide the landlord (if you haven't already) written notice of the problems, sent in some way you can prove delivery (e.g. certified mail with return receipt; fed ex; fax, and keep the fax delivery report; etc.); then, if  the landlord does not fix the problem, bring a legal action seeking both compensation for the time you've been living with rodents (rent abatement for that period) and an order for the landlord to resolve the situation.

You an also address other issues at the same time--the front door; violation of your right to quiet enjoyment by the other tenant; etc. But first pay the rent, so you don't need to worry about eviction.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption