If I’m an F1 student who came to the US about 9 months ago, what are my rights to go home for a visit?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m an F1 student who came to the US about 9 months ago, what are my rights to go home for a visit?

I still have a valid visa for 4 years and I am currently going to school. I recently applied for TPS and had biometrics about 6 years ago. I plan to visit my country Nepal on this summer. Can I go on F1? Is there any advanced parole required?

Asked on February 10, 2016 under Immigration Law, Texas


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If you have a multiple entry F-1 visa and you are still enrolled in a program for which you have the F-1 status then you are able to travel internationally and return to the US to continue your studies.  Just be sure to carry with you proof of your school attendance and your current I-20 form.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption