If my manager/co-worker intentionally poured a drink in my chair for me to sit in, what can I do about their continued harassment me?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my manager/co-worker intentionally poured a drink in my chair for me to sit in, what can I do about their continued harassment me?

This is not the first time along with several other acts of harassment. My employer watched a video of the act and refused to provide any punishment to him. I am being moved to another department. The owner of the company placed blame on me for his actions because we did not get along and was advised if I wanted to remain employed here that I needed to get over it. I would like to take action against the employee and possibly the company. Do I have a case?

Asked on November 13, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Kentucky


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

It depends on why the manager/co-worker did this: the law prohibits harassment of people due to their race, sex, religion, age over 40, disability, (or in your state, also) national origin or because you are a smoker. However, other types of harassment are legal: a co-worker or manager can legally harass an employee because, for example, they just don't like him or  her, and a company is not required to take action over such harassment. Furthermore, unless this was one of those specificly illegal forms of harassment (e.g. based on race, sex, etc.), the employer can legally take the harasser's side and expect the victim to "get over it."
If you feel this was one of those forms of illegal harassment, then you may have a legal claim because your employer has evidently refused to take reasonable action against it. You could, in this case, contact the federal EEOC or your state equal/civil rights agency to file a complaint, or speak with an employment law attorney about possibly suing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption