I am divorced paying Alimony My Divorce was in CT

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I am divorced paying Alimony My Divorce was in CT

I am in my Job and things are not going as planned , I am resigning and want to
know If I can go back to court to get the Alimony reduced . It says in my Divorce
papers I have to pay whether or not I have a job. I am almost 62 and that would
mean my retirement money will be less as years go on . I will look for another Job
or Retire Please advise Thanks

Asked on March 1, 2018 under Family Law, Connecticut


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

So the divorce settlement paperwork is a contract between you and your ex spouse.  It governs and reading it is imperative to helping you here. There may be another provision in the agreement that can help you.  The courts can modify the agreement when there has been a substantial change in circumstances but voluntarily leaving a job is not generally seen well.  Fired is a different scenario. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption