Do I need to seek full custody to be entitled to child support?

UPDATED: Sep 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 20, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I need to seek full custody to be entitled to child support?

I am divorced and have had joint custody of son with ex-husband. Our child lives with me ful time and father lives 60 miles away. I would like to seek full custody regardless, because my son’s father insist that he visit every weekend. Even when the child does not want to.

Asked on September 20, 2012 under Family Law, Georgia


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Custody, child support, and visitation are all separate issues and are determined separately.  There are two types of custody which are physical custody and legal custody.  Physical custody means the parent with whom the child lives.  Legal custody means making decisions about the child's healthcare, education, etc.

Since the child lives with you all the time, you already have sole physical custody.  It sounds like you and your ex have joint legal custody.  Again, custody is a separate issue from child support.  You can request child support. 

Child support and custody are separate from visitation.  The father has a right to visitation whether or not you are receiving child support.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption