What happens if out of country travel when I an F1 visa and if an H1b is filed?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What happens if out of country travel when I an F1 visa and if an H1b is filed?

I am currently on F1 visa with graduation date of May 13th. I have a job offer at hand which starts on June 1st and the company is willing to file my H1b application this year since I finish all my course requirement in March and furnish them with a provisional degree. After completing my courses in March I want to travel back to my home country and return before my graduation date of May 13th. The confusion is with the H1b filling on 1st April under change of status. Will there be any complications?

Asked on January 18, 2016 under Immigration Law, Iowa


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

The employer can file for the H-1B even if you are outside the country; however, it most likely will not be as a change of status but will require you to go for consular processing if and when the H-1B is approved.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption