Is a law against “retroactive” payments, and if there is anything I can do?

UPDATED: Aug 13, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 13, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is a law against “retroactive” payments, and if there is anything I can do?

I am a customer of a cable company. Recently, the company has told us that a payment from 6 months ago made with a money order had not gone through. After getting together my receipt and bank payments I was told this isn’t enough and that they will not drop this. My bank has said that the companyhas not tried to cash the money order. I have asked the company to send back the money order as collateral and I will pay them, but I will not pay on this bill until then, as that would be admitting fault. They refuse to send my money order back to me or the bank.

Asked on August 13, 2012 under General Practice, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

So long as you made the payment to the cable company and you have evidence such as receipts that you did so, then you are under no obligation to make a second payment on the obligation if the cable company will not send back the money order it has that you sent it. It is not your fault that the cable company has not submitted the money order for payment with its bank.

There is nothing illegal that the cable company is doing, albeit it is bad business. You should write a letter to the company setting forth your position as to payment made. Keep a copy of the letter for future use and need.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption