Is it easy for child support agreements to be changed?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it easy for child support agreements to be changed?

I am concerned my ex may try and take away child support. I am the custodial parent and have the kids at least 51 % of the time. He does have special allowances in our decree such as Tuesday dinners on the weeks he does not have them over the weekend and 2 floating days a month should he choose to use them.

Asked on October 7, 2015 under Family Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

The reason for the change will determine how easy it is to change the child support obligation. 
If the modification is agreed, then it's just a matter of filing a motion to modify and entering an agreed order.
If the modification is because the paying parent is now making more money, then either party or the Texas Attorney General can file a petition to modify, have the other sides served, and hold a hearing in a month or so.  This process can take a few months to conclude depending on how quickly everyone is served and the availability of the court's docket.
If the modifciation is because there is a shift in custody and it is not agreed to-- then it can take several months to a year for any custody issues to be resolved.  If you a looking to keep from having to pay your ex- child support, then make sure that you maintain at least 51+% of the possession time... otherwise you do run the risk of custody being flipped on you at a temporary order hearing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption