If I’ve been charged with leaving the scene of a property damage accident and driving left of center, how should I plead?

UPDATED: Dec 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 18, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’ve been charged with leaving the scene of a property damage accident and driving left of center, how should I plead?

I was not feeling well, under no alcohol/drug influence except generic cold meds, and did not realize there had been an accident until a few minutes later after hearing my car rattle. I pulled over and saw the damage. I went home and did not call the cops. The next day I was pulled over and ticketed. I am unemployed so cannot pay the fine or hire a lawyer. I simply don’t know what to plead. Guilty because according to the police report I am? Not guilty because it wasn’t deliberate? No contest because I’m somewhere in the middle? I have 2 public intox in this county within the last year and a 7 year old DWI.

Asked on December 18, 2011 under Accident Law, Arkansas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you have been charged with leaving the scene of an accident and driving left of center, those criminal charges are misdemenaors where if convicted, you could be fined, jailed or both. Worse yet, your driving privileges may be suspended and your auto insurance premiums will increase.

Given the negative outcome concerning your situation, I recommend that you go to the public defender's office in the county where you were ticketed to see if you qualify for court appointed counsel since you apparently cannot afford private counsel.

I would hold off making any plea until you consult with some attorney about the situation you are now in.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption