What are my rights if I am being sued in civil court by the other driver in a fender bender for over $100,000?

UPDATED: Dec 31, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 31, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if I am being sued in civil court by the other driver in a fender bender for over $100,000?

I have already contacted the insurance company and I have court transcripts of her saying she was not injured.

Asked on December 31, 2011 under Accident Law, Colorado


Kelly Broadbent / Broadbent & Taylor

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Typically, if you are sued and have insurance for the car accident, the insurance company will defend the action for you.  If the other person is suing over your policy limits (for example if you are only insured up to $20,000 and they are suing for $100,000), you have the right to hire your own attorney to protect you beyond the insurance companies liability.  You should send a copy of the complaint to the insurance company immediately so that they may answer the complaint and defend the action.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption