What to do if I’m now being sued for a car accident I had when I was 17?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I’m now being sued for a car accident I had when I was 17?

I am being sued for a car accident I was in when I was aged 17; I am now 19. I was in my foster parents’ car and they said that hey had insurance. I am no longer in contact with them. As far as the summons says, they are being sued too. I have no idea what the insurance name was on anything.

Asked on June 18, 2019 under Accident Law, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

It is imperative that you contact your foster parents to obtain their auto insurance information at the time of the accident. If you were covered under their policy, the auto insurance company will provide you with an attorney at no cost to you. You should do this immediately because you only have thirty days from the date you were served with the summons and complaint (the complaint is the lawsuit) to file an answer. If an answer to the complaint is not timely filed with the court, and served by mail on the opposing party's attorney, a default will be entered against you. A default means you have lost the case unless a motion to set aside the default is granted by the judge.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption