What should I do if I’m being sued for a car accident that happen a year and a half ago?

UPDATED: Dec 16, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 16, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I do if I’m being sued for a car accident that happen a year and a half ago?

I would like to know what are my rights. At the time my car insurance was expired.

Asked on December 16, 2013 under Accident Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you did not have insurance at the time, then you could be personally responsible--that is, have to pay out of your money--for any damages, injuries, or costs suffered by the other party, assuming that you were at fault in causing those damages, injuries, or costs. Fault is based on carelessness in car accidents, so if  you were driving carelessly (for example, driving too fast, while impaired or drunk, while texting, etc.; going through stop lights or signs, ignoring right of way, etc.) then you could be liable, or responsible to pay, for the other person's injuries or damages. Having no insurance does  not mean you can't be sued--it just means there is no one to defend you or pay for you, other than yourself.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption