I am being sued for 3000 for a vehicle accident, what are my next steps?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I am being sued for 3000 for a vehicle accident, what are my next steps?

First, the accident was turned into insurance. My insurance company covered the
costs, but then went after his for the cost of repairs. My insurance company found
me less than 50 at fault. The person suing me submitted a claim to my insurance
company. New Link Destination
my knowledge he never asked for repairs to his vehicle. He has never
asked me for money for repairs or damage. He has not asked me in person, in
writing or any other form to my knowledge. I do not know if he asked for his
vehicle to be repaired by my insurance company. I know that I have to show up to
court, but what do I need to bring with me?

Asked on November 18, 2017 under Accident Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

He does not need to ask you for money first, but may simply sue you for any costs, damage, or losses you caused him IF you were at fault; to the extent he received any compensation from insurance, that will reduce what he can get from you, because he cannot be double paid: he only get the total of his losses, damages, and costs, regardless of where or from whom the money comes. Bring with you to court all documentation relating to your license, registration, and this event, including any police reports or correspondence from your insurer; also bring with you any witnesses in your favor (i.e. anyone who saw the accident); subpoena the police officer (if any) who wrote any police reports to appear, so he/she can testify--assuming you believe the officer's testimony would help you (you should be able to find the subpoena form and instructions online from your court); and find out from your insurer exactly what they paid to him,, if anything and if possible get proof or evidence of payment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption