i am being sued

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

i am being sued

I bumped into a car in a parking lot and did not know it in Georgia in 2014. I was pulled over and given a DUI charge which is still in court. The owner of the car was injured he now claims. I was issued a subpoena from fulton county Georgia . I live in Houston Texas. do I hire a texas attorney?

Asked on November 5, 2016 under Personal Injury, Texas


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can retain an attorney in either your state or the state where the lawsuit was filed.
You may want to consider retaining an attorney in the state where the lawsuit was filed because that attorney may be more familiar with court procedures than an out of state attorney.
Also, in the event of court appearances that can't be handled by telephone, your attorney would have to travel to the other state's court which would be expensive if the attorney is from your state instead of the state where the court is located.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption