I am being stalked/harassed by my exhusband. What do I need for proof?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I am being stalked/harassed by my exhusband. What do I need for proof?

My exhusband has been stalking/harassing me electronically for years. Closing accounts,
changing passwords, and getting new devices hasn’t helped. What kind of ‘proof’ do I
need to get the law involved? Is there something I can do legally?

Asked on July 9, 2017 under Personal Injury, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can seek a protective or restraining order against him; you may be able to press charges, as certain of his acts qualify as crimes (e.g. masquerading as you to close accounts or change passwords may be identify theft); you could sue him for any costs or losses you incurred. Speak  with a family law attorney, who can help you identify your different options and pursue them; good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption