Am I liable forcourt finesif I served 2 years in jail and was told in court that all fines were time served?

UPDATED: Jul 22, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 22, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I liable forcourt finesif I served 2 years in jail and was told in court that all fines were time served?

I am being requested to pay court cost and fines for a felony forgery charge from 16 years ago.

Asked on July 22, 2011 Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Do you have anything in writing showing that all fees and penalties were actually paid by you as part of your sentencing for the presumed 1995 felony forgery conviction? Did you actually pay all court costs and fines that were imposed upon you? If so, do you have receipts and perhaps canceled checks showing that the payments have been made?

You could be liable for the claimed costs as part of the sentencing order if you did not pay them.

However, in most States, judgments are only good for 10 years if not renewed. In your situation, the judgment/order was entered in 1995. More than 10 years have passed. If it has not been renewed, it may no longer be legally valid. Consultation with a collections lawyer on the subject may be a good option for you.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption