I am being offered 3,500 for my injuries in an auto accident, is that a fair offer?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I am being offered 3,500 for my injuries in an auto accident, is that a fair offer?

Almost 2 years ago I was stopped at a
red light and a drunk driver hit me
from behind. I fractured my wrist and
my car was a total loss. The money they
are trying to give me is for my
injuries. He went to jail and I went to
ER.. Not sure what other info to say.
Thank you for your time

Asked on March 29, 2016 under Personal Injury, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The amount of the settlement offer should include compensation for the medical bills, compensation for pain and suffering which is an amount in addition to the medical bills, and compensation for wage loss.
Compensation for the medical bills is straight reimbursement.  Compensation for pain and suffering is based on the information in the medical reports.  There isn't any mathematical formula for determining pain and suffering.  It just depends on the facts of the case.  For example, your fractured wrist would receive more compensation than someone who only had a sprain.
I would usually ask for quadruple the medical bills to compensate for pain and suffering, but NOT expecting to get that.  That would be a starting point in negotiations.  The insurance company will come back with a much lower offer and negotiations can continue to try to get them to increase their offer.  A fracture should be worth a significant amount of compensation for pain and suffering.  Compensation for wage loss is straight reimbursement.
Since your accident happened almost two years ago, you need to either immediately settle the case or file a lawsuit for negligence against the at-fault party because CA has a two year statute of limitations in personal injury cases.  This means that if the case is NOT settled, you must file your lawsuit for negligence against the at-fault party BEFORE the two year anniversary of the accident.  If you don't, you will miss the statute of limitations and lose your rights forever in the matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption