I am being evicted, do i have any legal options? I read about filing a “set aside” or injunction due to hardship. Can I do this and how?

UPDATED: May 21, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 21, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I am being evicted, do i have any legal options? I read about filing a “set aside” or injunction due to hardship. Can I do this and how?

I am 3 months behind on rent, I let my landlord know what was going on. He served me with a forcible entry and detainer affidavit. I could not make it to court yesterday, so he came by @ 8:00pm with a court order for the default judgement. and a note saying we have 3 days to move. This is not possible. I went to legal aid this morning, they could not help me, said I didnt qualify. If I can pay him the past due can we stay. What are my options. I live in oklahoma.

Asked on May 21, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Oklahoma


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

You might be able to get the landlord to let you stay, but he will almost certainly want the court costs he's paid, on top of all the rent, and maybe next month's rent as well.  He probably doesn't have to do this, though.

Otherwise, you need to talk to an attorney, to get advice based on all the facts of your case.  Landlord tenant law is different from one state to the next, and you've put yourself in a very difficult situation here.  One place to look for the lawyer you need is our website, http://attorneypages.com

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption