What should I do if I’m being charged a second time with shoplifting?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I do if I’m being charged a second time with shoplifting?

My first charge was exactly 3 years ago. I suffer from severe depression, I as just diagnosed as bi polar and go days on end with no sleep causing me to have periods of time where I am very confused, not real aware of what is going on, forgetfulness. Both times I have been arrested have been during time periods where I have been without sleep for 5 or more days and I don’t remember shoplifting, just a real sense of confusion and panic. I plan on pleading not guilty this time for the first I pled guilty because I feel my mental health is greatly affecting my memory and decision making.

Asked on September 22, 2015 under Criminal Law, Nebraska


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You need an attorney.  This is a matter where your safety is involved, not just an issue of shoplifting.  Explain all of these occurences with your counsel and see if your counsel will work with the prosecutor's office to perhaps seek alternative conviction or counseling as opposed to jail time.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption