If I am being accused of harassment, how do I prove I am innocent?

UPDATED: Feb 15, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I am being accused of harassment, how do I prove I am innocent?

About 6 months ago, I filed a police report against my neighbor for stealing my jewelry. It came down to her word against mine; she is now accusing me of harassment but I am innocent. She mailed me a letter threatening to file criminal charges against me if I do not stop and get a restraining order as well but I haven’t done anything to her. How do I prove I am innocent if she chooses to do this to me?

Asked on February 15, 2012 under Criminal Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

First, if there is an action against you for a restraining order, you need to realize that the other side has the burden of proving entitlement to such an order. You have in hand the letter threatening you. Keep it for future need. If you are served with such a petition, I recommend that you then consult with a family law attorney (they have lots of experience with restraining orders) to review the petition and plan your line of defense to the claims against you.

I understand your concern, but until any petition is filed, you are simply causing yourself needless worry. You could consult with a family law attorney as a safeguard before any petition is filed if that will help matters for you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption