What are my rights if I am behind on my rent-to-own payment?

UPDATED: Nov 3, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if I am behind on my rent-to-own payment?

My daughter has kidney failure and has been very sick in the last 4 months. I got behind on my payments while she has been in the hospital. They refused a payment today and said that I better have someone home so they can pick up the merchandise. I am trying to pay and they won’t accept the lower payment that I can give; I attempted to pay $20 but they refused.

Asked on November 3, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Indiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you are renting furniture or other articles on a rent to own basis but got behind, the company that you have been making payments to cannot use self help and simply take away the items you have unless you are willing to let them do this.

The company's option is to bring a legal action against you for breach of the lease option to buy. I suggest that you contact the manager of the company to try and work out a solution to the problem and write a follow up letter confirming the conversation. You also need to read your lease agreement carefully. It controls the obligations owed to you by the vendor and vice versa. Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption