I am an owner of a hair salon and I am starting a new hair care product line.

UPDATED: May 10, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I am an owner of a hair salon and I am starting a new hair care product line.

Do I add this business as an attachment to my existing business corp. or do I start a new corp. Should I trademark with legalzoom>

Asked on May 10, 2009 under Business Law, New York


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

There is quite a bit more information that a lawyer will want, before he or she can recommend a particular way to set this up.  The cost for getting a lawyer's advice, here, is a business expense, and your accountant can tell you about how to handle that on your tax returns, but more importantly, doing this the wrong way can be far, far more expensive.  One place you can look for a New York business attorney is on our website, http://attorneypages.com

I would be very cautious about using an internet service to register your trademark. You need to be sure that the design you plan to use is not too similar to someone else's trademark that is already registered, for one thing.  Your attorney can give you more details about this, and this is another area where a mistake can be much more expensive than talking to a lawyer first.  It's cheap insurance for your livelihood!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption