If Iam an international student studying and was clocked was driving 127 mph, do I need a lawyer?

UPDATED: Dec 3, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 3, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If Iam an international student studying and was clocked was driving 127 mph, do I need a lawyer?

Is there a possibility that I would go to jail?

Asked on December 3, 2011 under General Practice, Arizona


Kelly Broadbent / Broadbent & Taylor

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

In Massachusetts, if you are cited for a civil speeding violation of 127, the officer assesses a fine of $10 per mile over the speed limit.  For example, if you were travelling 126 in a 65 mph zone, the fine would be for 62 miles over the limit, or $620.00.

If you pay the ticket, you would incur a surchargeable event on your driving record, which would probably cause an increase in your insurance.  In Massachusetts, there is no difference in surcharges for a speeding ticket of 10 miles over or of 62 miles over. 

You have the option to appeal the ticket, however, with extreme speeds the courts are seldom sympathetic to reducing the fine or dismissing the ticket.  If you do choose to appeal the ticket, your best chances at a reduction or dismissal would be if you hired an attorney.

As far as jailtime, unless the officer cited you for  a criminal citation such as reckless driving or negligent operation, there is no potential for jailtime.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption