If I’m an independent subcontractor, working as a medical transcriptionist, for a medical transcription service owner (MTSO), how can I collect my wages owed?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m an independent subcontractor, working as a medical transcriptionist, for a medical transcription service owner (MTSO), how can I collect my wages owed?

The MTSO is located in a different state that the one in which I live. I am due wages for work done in the amount of $2979 from work done 2-3 months ago. In addition, I am owed for work done last month in the amount of $1847. What is the process to sue and collect my wages?

Asked on November 2, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

The process to sue is that you file a lawsuit and serve the summons and complaint on the defendant. Suing in a different state must be done in regular county court--you can't sue in small claims. Because you have to sue in regular county court and because properly serving papers on a defendant in another state is more difficult (and if the defendant is not properly served, the court has no power to hear the case), you ideally should have an attorney represent you--the problem is, the cost of an attorney will eat into the money you hope to get. You should call some attorneys to discuss the matter and see what they'd charge; if it's too much and you decide to act as your own attorney ("pro se"), make sure to get a copy of the court rules regarding out of state service of process and to read and understand them. You will also want to get a sample or template summons and complaint, but can most likely get those from your court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption