If I am an hourly employee and was forced to work during my unpaid break, is this legal?

UPDATED: Dec 28, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 28, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I am an hourly employee and was forced to work during my unpaid break, is this legal?

My employer kept altering my time cards to shave off minutes.

Asked on December 28, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, California


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you are required to have breaks (either or both through state law or through your lawyer's work policies), then you can work during your break usually and this has nothing to do with hourly wages though it may become an issue if your employer is trying to use your breaks against your total hours worked. Altering time cards is different from working on breaks. You are usually still paid while on work breaks (it is lunch hours that are different). Contact your state's labor department if you suspect or have solid proof your time cards are being altered. That is usually a violation of state labor laws.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption