If my parents were deported 9 years ago, can they get a visit visa and come to my graduation?

UPDATED: Dec 22, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 22, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my parents were deported 9 years ago, can they get a visit visa and come to my graduation?

I am a citizen and a student and here alone. I really want my parents to come to my graduation. I want them to come for just for a few months. Is that in any way possible? I would love to know any procedures I can follow to remove their bar of which they have less than a year left so that they may join me here for my graduation ceremony in the spring.

Asked on December 22, 2011 under Immigration Law, Texas


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

It really depends on the conditions of their deportation order in terms of how soon after the deportation they are able to apply for a visa to the US.  If they are subject to a bar to reentry for 10 years, then they will not be able to come until that time period has been satisfied.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption