What to do if I am a US citizen and would like to petition for my husband’s son to come to the US?

UPDATED: Nov 18, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 18, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I am a US citizen and would like to petition for my husband’s son to come to the US?

My husband is a permanent resident; he child is 9 years old. I know that I need to file a form I-130. Once that is approved and a visa is issued, he will be allowed to travel here correct? And then once here, I will have to file a I-485?

Asked on November 18, 2013 under Immigration Law, Louisiana


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you would file the I-130 immigrant relative petition and it would eventually be adjudicated (within about 6-8 months) and then go to the consular processing stage (another 3-4 months).  If all is well and the visa is issued, the son would be able to travel to the US on that immigrant visa and upon entry to the US, he would be a permanent resident and the green card itself would come in the mail within a few weeks after that.  There is no need to file the I-485.  That is only done for someone who is applying for permanent residence within the US but since the child is overseas, it would be processed through consular processing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption