When can I submit my N400 application for US citizenship?

UPDATED: Nov 14, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 14, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

When can I submit my N400 application for US citizenship?

I have been a permanent US resident for almost 3 years now and was sponsored by my US citizen wife. For several years (uo until last year), my family and I were mostly outside the US for work. However, we used to come back within each year for a month or so. During this time, we had our bank accounts in the US and filed joint tax returns. For the last 13 months, we have been in the US physically most of the time (plus full-time for the last 7 months) and plan on being in the US physically for all or most of the rest of this year and the next. My wife and I have been happily married for 5 years.

Asked on November 14, 2013 under Immigration Law, North Carolina


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you will be apply for naturalization on the basis of having been married to a US citizen, you need to have been a permanent resident for 3 years, at least one half of which was spent physically present in the US.  YOu literally have to count the days to determine when you are eligible for that if you were outside the US for considerable periods of time.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption