What are my rights if I’m a truck driver and when I quit with my last employer he took several deductions out of my check?

UPDATED: Jul 2, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 2, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if I’m a truck driver and when I quit with my last employer he took several deductions out of my check?

I was in the middle of getting my stuff out of the truck to clean it and my boss came and took the truck before I was finished and then charged me $150 truck cleaning fee. He also took $666 out of paycheck for fuel receipts he didnt have but has them on his credit card statements. I was not buying the truck so how can he charge me for fuel receipts he couldnt find? He also took out $72 for unauthorized charges on his card but that was the stuff for the truck. Is that all legal?

Asked on July 2, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Iowa


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Your boss is not allowed to take money from your paycheck without your permission, and you could sue him to get that money back. However, he would be alllowed to interpose a counteclaim for any amounts you do legitimately owe him, such as potentially for unauthorized charges or for fuel charges which you cannot prove were proper. If he can prove that you were not entitled to those amounts, he could potentially get them in court, so that if you sue him for the money taken from your paycheck, if you owe him money at the same time, you might find that you do not receive as much as you hope, since anything you owe him would be offset against what he owes you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption