Am I still obligated to pay rent to my landlord even though “Fannie Mae” has claimed the home as foreclosed?

UPDATED: Jan 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I still obligated to pay rent to my landlord even though “Fannie Mae” has claimed the home as foreclosed?

I am a tenant the landlord may have possibly lost the building. “Fannie Mae” has offered me a lease agreement. The landlord denies losing the home.

Asked on January 11, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If "Fannie Mae" is offering you a lease agreement for the unit you are occupying, you need to ask "Fannie Mae" (its representative) to provide you with any trustee's deed as to the unit you are occupying. If it is on title to the unit, then "Fannie Mae" is your new landlord and you are to make your rental payments to it.

If "Fannie Mae" cannot provide you with the deed to the property in its name after requests for such, then the landlord still owns the unit and you are to make the rental payments to him or her. Keep a copy of all correspondence to "Fannie Mae" and the landlord regarding this rental issue for future need and reference.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption