What are my rights in regards to defending myself against a noise complaint logged against me?

UPDATED: Apr 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights in regards to defending myself against a noise complaint logged against me?

I am a tenant in an apartment and have recieved a noise complaint due to my dog barking when I am not home. Although I have asked the landlord to see when the complaints are coming in, in order to see if there is a viable solution, I have been informed that there is no complaint log. I have even gotten a noise complaint when I was home and my dog was not barking. I have been given 14 day notice to fix the problem but since the problem happens when I am not at home, I am unsure of what rights I have.

Asked on April 11, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Oregon


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You first need to carefully read the presumed written lease that you have to see if there is any provision with respect to excessive noise within it. Assuming there is, you then need to follow any protocol within the lease to contest the noise complaint assuming there is a protocol.

If there is none, then you simply write the landlord back stating your position and request to see all documentation supporting the claims against you regarding the noise. Keep a copy of your letter for future use and need. From there, you simply see what the response is to your letter and move forward in response.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption