If I am a tenant and my unit is privately owned by a property management company, what are my rights if they are preventing me from amenities?

UPDATED: Aug 1, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I am a tenant and my unit is privately owned by a property management company, what are my rights if they are preventing me from amenities?

I rent a condo. Our pool/gym area was rekeyed and I can’t get my key. No one will call me back. I have come to find out they have not been paying the association. Dues are past due for $3258. I have been receiving collections notices from an attorney representing the asscoiation. I called the association and they are not able to give me too much information and nor is the attorneys office. I also have maintence issues which need taking care of and again can’t reach anyone at the property management company. What are my rights as a tenant and do I have to pay rent if they are preventing me from ammenties and avoiding my maintenance?

Asked on August 1, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I would consult in a local attorney who claims to practice real estate law or handle landlord/tenant relations. 

Access to amenitites is not covered by the implied warranty of habitability, however if you were promised access to amenities and now have no such access and also have maintenance issues--you may have cause to withhold rent, terminate the lease, or both.  If you consult with a local attorney, give them a copy of the lease and more specifics, they should be able to provide you with guidance on the best plan of action.

Best of luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption