What to do if I’m a subcontractor the company will not pay me?

UPDATED: Jun 16, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 16, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I’m a subcontractor the company will not pay me?

One job was completed about a year ago and I have not received payment. For another job they gave me patial payment and are now saying that they no longer owe me for that job, yet they will not tell me why. The third job they are blaming me for a carpet mistake on their part (their employee gave me different instructions about how the carpet would be laid and it’s my word against theirs). They have spoken to my insurance company which will not cover. They said that they would be charging me for the carpet, but are unable to tell me when they will pay me the remaining money for that job. It has been months.

Asked on June 16, 2011 under Business Law, Colorado


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Do you have written or verbal contracts with them for all of these jobs?  We all know that written contracts are better as the terms are right there in black and white and so much easier to enforce.  If the contracts are oral the terms have to be testified to and then if the other parties contests the terms it becomes a problem with getting witnesses, credibility, etc.  But either way you are going to have to sue for non-payment under the contract.  Depending on the amount you may want to sue in 3 different actions to keep them all in Small Claims and easier to deal with for you.  Or speak with someone about filing a mechanics lien against the properties the contractors employed you for.  Then the owners may get on their case and you will be paid.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption