If I’m found in violation of a non-compete, what can happen?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m found in violation of a non-compete, what can happen?

I am a salesman for a financial services company. I was an independent contractor for a firm for 3 years and during that time I built a book of business that compensates me $12,000 per month. With that firm, I signed a 3 year non-compete without a territory defined. My contract says that commissions will survive termination for any reason. Once I resigned from the firm, my employer said that I was in violation of my non-compete by working with a similar firm, in a different state. If I am found in violation of my non-compete, can the former employer withhold my $12,000 per month for the next 2.5 years? What could be the justification for not paying my commissions for work already performed?

Asked on January 27, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Connecticut


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

1) You must be paid all earned but unpaid commissions (subject only to the usual set-offs: e.g. unpaid bills or bad debts, chargebacks for returns or refunds, etc.) unless the employment contract specifically said that you would forfeit them for a non-compete or other contract violation--but apparently, your contract does not say that.
2) If you violate a non-compete, your employer could:
a) Bring a lawsuit to get an injunction (court order) against you, forcing you to stop competing--if you violate it, you could be subject to sanctions from the court, which could fine you or even possibly order you imprisoned for contempt of court.
b) Sue you for monetary damages or compensation, such as forcing you to turn over to them the income you make from illegal competition, or any amounts which they can prove they would have received (e.g. sales made) but for your competition.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption