I am a naturalized citizen but my 14 years old has Green card how to give him citizenship

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I am a naturalized citizen but my 14 years old has Green card how to give him citizenship

I am a naturalized US citizen for about
8 years. My son is now 14 and was born
before I became citizen. I have applied
for him for GC after I became citizen
abd he has GC. What do I need to do to
give him citizenship?. We are currently
living outside the US. How long does
the process take? Can I do it from
outside the US? Or do I have to be in
the US?

Asked on January 22, 2017 under Immigration Law, Texas


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If your son has lived outside the US for a long period of time as a GC holder, he may have abandoned his status and is  no longer a green card holder.  A permanent resident must have the intention to reside in the US on a permanent basis and have documentation to show support of that intention.  if your son loses or has lost his permanent resident status, he would have to be petitioned once more and for that you need to be domiciled in the US.  If he has not yet lost it, he will lose it if you continue to reside outside the US. 
You say he was born before you became a US citizen.  Where was he born and what was your status at the time of his birth?  What was the status of his other parent at the time of his birth?  Where was he residing at the time you became a US citizen?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption