Can I, as a legal alien in the US but without a green card, become a physical therapy assistant and get a sponsor?

UPDATED: Dec 4, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 4, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I, as a legal alien in the US but without a green card, become a physical therapy assistant and get a sponsor?

I am a high school student applying for college. My parents do not have a green card or a citizenship but my mom has a job with a work permit in the US and my dad has a job in my home country, South Korea.

Asked on December 4, 2011 under Immigration Law, Connecticut


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you are in the US lawfully, you can try to get a job and get an employment-based work visa, if your employer petitions for you.  But the key is that you have to be legally present in the US, in valid status and eligible for the work visa, based on the level of education and/or work experience.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption