If I rent out my condo and my last tenant moved out a month early so I lost that month’s rent, are they liable for the missed month’s rent?

UPDATED: Jul 24, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 24, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I rent out my condo and my last tenant moved out a month early so I lost that month’s rent, are they liable for the missed month’s rent?

My last tenant announced he was moving out a month early. I didn’t specify anything about him owning me if I didn’t find a tenant right away. I have now missed one month’s rent since the next tenant will not move in until the following month. Also, my prior tenant breached the contract upon move-out by changing the locks (he was a difficult and hostile tenant).

Asked on July 24, 2015 under Real Estate Law, Hawaii


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If there was a written lease and the lease was up in a given month, but the tenant moved out a month earlier than the lease expiration, then the tenant is liable for the last month's rent: tenants have to pay rent for the entirey of the (written) contracted term or, if they move out early, until the landlord re-rents the unit, whichever comes first. And if a tenant changes the locks, he is liable for the cost to re-key them again. If you had a security deposit from the tenant, you could take the lock cost and last month's rent out of the deposit; if you did not, then you could sue him (such as in small claims court, acting as your own attorney, or pro se) for the money.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption