What can I do if I’m a home delivery contractor and the company I’ve been working for has been cheating me out of money/work?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I’m a home delivery contractor and the company I’ve been working for has been cheating me out of money/work?

When I first started they made me give them all my business paperwork. I never signed a contract I just started work. The operations manager told me that I would be running my truck 5 days a week and I would be getting x amount of dollars everyday. I never even filled out a 1099 with them. Long story short, I found that they paid extra money for work that requires more people. I used extra people for a whole year never got paid and never was told we got paid for it. What should I do?

Asked on January 11, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If you have been paid the agreed upon amount, you were not "cheated" (in a legal sense) out of anything: you received the amount of pay you agreed to work for. That's not to say that they did not pay other people more, but a company can choose to pay others more--as long as you are paid what you agreed to work for, that is legal.
The above said, an employer may not pay women less because they are women--that is illegal, even if the women agreed to the pay. The can pay a woman less for other, non-gender or -sex based reasons, such as experience, seniority, credentials, etc.--but if the *only* reason the woman is being paid less is that she is paid less is that she is a woman, that may be illegal gender-based employment discrimination. If you feel this may be the case, you should speak with the federal EEOC or your state equal/civil rights agency about possibly filing a complaint.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption