If I’mam a felon on parole and I want to marry an inmate in a federal prison, are there any laws prohibiting this?

UPDATED: Feb 22, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 22, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’mam a felon on parole and I want to marry an inmate in a federal prison, are there any laws prohibiting this?

Would it be considered a violation of my parole?

Asked on February 22, 2012 under Criminal Law, Colorado


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Each state has different laws with respect to whether or not a paroled felon can marry a federal inmate without being in violation of his or her parole. The best way to ascertain one's ability to do so legally would be as follows:

1. write the parole officer and the federal court warden about the request;

2. file a petition in the court where you were convicted seeking permission to marry and serve the petition upon the prosecution and the parole board. If the court grants the petition you would then have a court order allowing such.

3. the same petition needs to be filed by the inmate in the federal prison with the court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption