What to do if I was teminated to to an injury?

UPDATED: Sep 13, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 13, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was teminated to to an injury?

I was involved in a car accident 2 weeks ago and have been out of work for 2 weeks under a doctor’s note. I was given another doctor’s note for an additional 2 weeks. The accident aggravated my previous disability and caused several more serious injuries. I went in to drop off my doctor’s note and was handed a letter of termination outlining that I was being terminated due to my car accident. In the same letter I was given a excellent performance review showing that my termination was due only to the fact that I was injured in a car accident. Is this not a violation of the ADA and several other employment laws?

Asked on September 13, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written, your termination from your last place of work could very well be in violation of your state's labor laws as well as the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). I suggest that you consult with an attorney that practices in the area of employment law and/or consult with a representative with your local department of labor about your situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption