How can I file a claim if I’mam a contractor in one state and have not received payment from a client in another state?

UPDATED: Sep 3, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 3, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I file a claim if I’mam a contractor in one state and have not received payment from a client in another state?

I’m in TX; client is in NY.

Asked on September 3, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

A lawsuit can be filed where the plaintiff resides or where the defendant resides or where the claim arose.  You can file your lawsuit  in either TX or NY.  For convenience purposes, such as filing documents with the court and court appearances, it would be advisable to file in TX where you reside.  You will need to have the lawsuit served on the defendant in NY.  You can have a process server in the city in NY where the defendant is located serve the the summons and complaint (complaint is the lawsuit) on the defendant.  If the defendant lives in a small town in NY and there aren't any process servers located in that town, use a process server who is located near that town.  You can find process servers online or in the Yellow Pages listed under attorney services.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption