I am a conditional greencard holder and will be living with military spouse in Okinawa

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I am a conditional greencard holder and will be living with military spouse in Okinawa

My question is, do I have to come back to the states to do my removal of
conditions interview? My spouse is an American citizen in the Marine Corps and we
will be shipping out to Okinawa, Japan in May of next year. My interview to
remove conditions is supposed to be set for July 22nd, 2017. How will the process
work for me?

Asked on December 10, 2016 under Immigration Law, Washington


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Most often, if you submit enough documentation as part of your application to remove the conditional status, the decision by USCIS is made on the basis of the documents themselves and no interview is required.  However, if you will also be going out of the country with him, then you will need to get a reentry permit to preserve your permanent residence status if you are abroad for too long.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption