If I’m a 20 year old female and was in a relationship with 16 year old male that has ended, does he have any grounds to get me into legal trouble?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m a 20 year old female and was in a relationship with 16 year old male that has ended, does he have any grounds to get me into legal trouble?

He had some of my belongings which I went to pick up and was verbally assaulted. Then 1-2 months ago, I was sent a sexual image from him and was told by him that he is going to the police for child pornography. I deleted the image immediately.

Asked on January 14, 2016 under Criminal Law, New York


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You need to stick to boyfriends who are over eighteen years of age.  The law doesn't distinguish between sixteen year old boys or girls when it comes to sexual assault... so you do have some potential liability.  However, his claim that he is going to the police for child pornography is stupid.  He created the image and sent it to you... and you deleted it.  He can't complain of an event that he initiated. 
Going forward, you need to record any conversations that you have with him and preserve any text messages that document his threats over you.  In the event that he does go to the police, you'll have some evidence that he is a willing participant and he is not an 'innocent child' in this situation.  If he can manipulate like an adult male, then he should be treated like an adult male.  At least that's the argument to be made. 
If you do get contacted by the police, do not go alone.  Make sure that you retain an attorney to accompany you for any meetings with law enforcement.  This is a serious charge which can have devastating long term consequences.  You will need legal assistance if it goes that far.
In the mean time...cut your ties with this kid.  Do not engage in any type of sexual relations with him... whether it be physical contact or 'sexting'.... either will increase your risk to criminal prosecution.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption