I am a 16 year old juvenile and i have been placed on 1 year of probation for theft. I will begin probation in about 2 weeks.

UPDATED: May 18, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 18, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I am a 16 year old juvenile and i have been placed on 1 year of probation for theft. I will begin probation in about 2 weeks.

But I HAVE to leave the country in a month and a half for 2 months. The reason is i have a green card and im a citizen of Russia, and I will be turning 17 in august which means I will have to be in the draft in November, and if Im not then I will be a dodger and cant come back to the country untill I am 27. I also have to change my passport/picture once I turn 17. I also have all my family in russia, including a sick single grandmother, and a 4 year old little brother. I understand that i really screwed up, but I have to go. Would a PO let me do that, and what can i do to persuade him? Thanks.

Asked on May 18, 2009 under Criminal Law, New Jersey


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I'd suggest that you get in touch with the Russian consulate, and get a letter from them confirming what your legal obligations are to Russia, so that you don't have to ask your probation officer to simply take your word for that part of your situation, because I doubt that would happen.  I doubt that your family situation will make any difference in this.

You might also want to talk to a criminal defense attorney.  One place you can look for a qualified lawyer is our website, http://attorneypages.com

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption